Need a Texas hill country road trip? Do you ever want to pack up the car and leave your worries in the rear-view mirror? A road trip from Austin to Wimberley, TX, is the best way to do it! We’ll tell you everything you need to know to make this the ultimate adventure. Don’t leave home without our free Texas Hill Country Itinerary! It’s your go-to guide for things to do in Wimberley and the surrounding area.
Why Take the Trip From Austin to Wimberley, TX?
No matter the season, it’s always a fantastic time to escape the big city and drive along scenic, rural roads. You’ll pass fields of wildflowers, rustic farmhouses, and ancient, live oak trees. When traveling from Austin to Wimberley, rest your head at the Hotel Flora and Fauna. Our property is less than 40 miles from the state capitol in the heart of Texas Hill Country.
The trip from Austin is an easy, breezy, 1-hour drive. From I-35, travel to San Marcos and take the Wimberley RR 12 exit (also called Hopkins Road). From this point, follow road signs for directions to Wimberley.
Places to Stop Along the Way
- The Wild West Store
- Stop in this Southwestern jewel just before you hit Wimberley Square. The store offers over 500 pairs of vintage cowboy boots! You can also browse their impressive selection of animal skins, belt buckles, and authentic spurs and chaps.
- Black’s Barbecue
- Veer slightly off the path to visit the Barbecue Capital of Texas — Lockhart. Lockhart is home to the “Original Black’s Barbecue,” which is the oldest BBQ joint in the state! All of their meats are slow-smoked in a simple, delicious rub with local Post Oak wood. The chopped beef brisket, smoked turkey breast, and barbecue chicken will have you drooling.
- Silo Glass Studio and Gallery
- Gaze at the unique jewelry and art made from fused glass at this magnificent studio. You can shop their gallery for one-of-a-kind gifts, or take a class and learn how to create this exceptional art for yourself.
What to Do When You Get There
Although Wimberley may seem quaint, it’s full of character. As locals to this adorable town, we know all the best things to do during your stay.
- Shop ’til you drop
- Take a sip at a local winery
- Chow down at a delicious restaurant
- Hike through Texas Hill Country
- Take a dip in a swimming hole
- Jacob’s Well
- Cypress Falls
- Attend a fun-filled event
End the Day at Hotel Flora and Fauna
After your voyage from Austin to Wimberley, TX, park your car and rest your head at Hotel Flora and Fauna.
At our beautiful, boutique hotel, you get the luxury of studio amenities for the cost of a regular hotel room. Room 3 features a memory-foam, king-size bed, plus a sofa, kitchenette, and flat-screen TV. You’ll have access to our courtyard pool, too! Hotel Flora and Fauna is a short walk to downtown Wimberley, so feel free to leave the car behind. Book your stay with us and see why we are a preferred destination for travelers visiting the Texas Hill Country!